A writer friend of mine at Holden Village once told me that
often you need some distance from a place before you can write about it. I am going to blame my inability to write
good blog posts about Hong Kong on that fact.
So what have I been up to?
That is a good question. Umm,
well, there has been class. And
sleep. And class.
Ok, but seriously, what have I done with my time here? I went out to lunch once with Sherry, I went
out to lunch with Stephanie and her sister Maria. I went to 180, the young adult bible
study. I went to church. I am starting to sense a pattern here…
They say that people who are involved with religious
communities are happier. It might be
because of religious belief, or that it brings people together. I am not exactly sure which is affecting me
more. But the fact that religious event
and hanging out with the people I met at them were the things that immediately
popped into my head does say a great deal about my psyche at the moment.
Ok, but actually. The
big event of the last week and a half is that a bunch of us went to Ocean Park,
a mixture theme park and aquarium and zoo.
Whoever came up with this mixture was an absolute genius. You get off a roller-coaster and are feeling
a little tired. No worries. Go look at the seals for a few minutes, then
you can go back to the rides. The only
problem was that there was so much to do that we could not do and see it
all. But we were able to prioritize, and
do a great deal.
We had a field trip to a Daoist temple. Daoism is the 21st century,
hybridized indigenous religion of China.
The Chinese, for the most part, love to take pieces of their past and
modernize them. To sum up Daoist beliefs
briefly. Everything is made of Qi (or
Chi). Light qi goes up to heaven, dark qi sinks to earth. The movement of qi is the ying and yang of
the universe, which drives all change.
One can be free of this change and become immortal if one aligns their
qi with the cosmic qi (become closer to nature through mediation and austerity
and all that jazz). There are gods, but
they don’t really have names or do much.
They accept Buddha as a god (or immortal, I’m not really sure which, or
if they even know). There are immortals (humans that have achieved immortality)
who have adventures that kids read about in story books. There are guardians based on the year you
were born. There is a mother goddess
(very Neolithic tribal religion ish). It
all becomes very nebulous. The hard core
Daoists are vegetarian, but I don’t really understand why. I am sure it has something to do with
non-violence. But they didn’t really
explain it. But we had a very yummy vegetarian meal there. The religion reminds me a lot of Jainism in
its practices.
We had eggroll night!
Sherry was really confused when we tried to explain eggrolls to
her. She decided that it must be an
American thing. But actually, we made
Hmong eggrolls, which are the same size as American eggrolls. Which makes me feel a little better about
American culture. We may be crazy in
what we eat, but we are not alone!
It is really funny though to see what the Hong Kong people
think of American food. We had
“authentic New York style” pizza, which had a diameter of two feet! Do the Hong Kong people really believe that
all of our food is that supersized? If
my world travels have taught me anything, it is that Indians eat a lot more
food than Americans do. Again, we might
be crazy. But we are not any more crazy
than the rest of the world. We are just
the most public. And our public image is
not the most endearing.
Museums are free on Wednesdays, so we have been taking full
advantage of that. Last week we went to
the Space museum, which was actually pretty lame. They had a good Imax theatre though. This week, we went to the science
museum. The museum itself was not great,
but they had a spectacular temporary exhibit about dinosaurs up. They had a few animatronic dinosaurs, a huge
number of recreated skeletons, and some amazing fossils. I have not been this excited about dinosaurs
since I was a little kid.
This week we have been learning about Chinese painting and
calligraphy, with demonstrations. The
artist who came in was amazing, and made everything look super easy. I wish I could paint like that. And write like that. And play a Chinese instrument. And appreciate good Chinese tea. Man, China is making me feel so inadequate
and uncultured.
It has been almost three weeks, and the number of malls
still makes me uneasy. In our class on
modern art, we started talking about how China has embraced some of more
vicious parts of capitalism, such as unadulterated consumerism. And then I open the International New York
Times to seen an article about how austerity measure seem to be helping
Britain’s economy. Then I start thinking
about Holden Village, and all of the discussions we had there about consumerism
in America. It is a lot to think about.
But I am on the verge of falling asleep on the floor, so I
think I am going to go to bed now.
Good Night
Andrea
Austerity measures helping the British economy? Don't believe it for a minute, even if it is the New York Times. Read Krugman, also in the NYT, and he will tell you that any perceived improvement is scant compared to what would happen with less government austerity. Do not get personal austerity and governmental austerity confused--one is usually a virtue and the other can be a vice in the wrong circumstances.
ReplyDelete