Hong Kong! I have
lived here a week and a half and still have not blogged. How awful is that? But there has been so much to do here. I haven’t had much time to myself since
arriving. Which is both a good thing and
a bad thing.
Walking around Hong Kong feels reminiscent of walking around
in a big city in America. The streets
are clean, the people are dressed in a mostly western/ cutesy Asian inspired
fashion (it comes with being a fashion capital I guess), and the streets are
safe. I cannot emphasis enough how much
safe streets has put everyone in our group at ease. It is truly a wonderful thing, and something
I will never take for granted again.
The weather here is in the 70s everyday, never rainy and
always beautiful. Which makes walking to
class quite nice.
A quick rundown of what I have been up to. Some of the highlights from the last week and
a half include hiking around Lamma Island, a nearby island that does not allow
motorized vehicles (a few exceptions of course). On the island are two small fishing villages
with really good seafood. Heather, who
hates seafood, even liked it. We took a
cable car across the mountains of Lantau Island to see the giant Buddha there,
then took a bus to the other side of the island to see pink dolphins (yes, we
did see some!). We visited the market at
Mong Kok (I don’t know if it was the Lady’s Market or not, but I don’t think it
was). A few of us lay on a beach for an hour because we missed the ocean, and
it was too cold to swim. A few of us
went to see the Symphony of Lights, a nightly light show up on by the buildings
of Hong Kong Island. We visited the
history museum, which is free on Wednesdays.
The Hong Kong Cultural Association, our liaisons here, treated us to
Thanksgiving dinner.
At dinner we met Sherry, possibly one sweetest people I have
met on this trip. Sherry is from
Mainland China originally, but university and then job prospects brought her to
Hong Kong. She invited us to her
church. The church, call “The Vine,”
attracts mostly (but not exclusively) young adults, about equal parts Hong Kong
people and ex-pats. Services are in
English and us contemporary music from the west. There is also a Saturday night bible study. The people there are extremely nice. We met and went to dinner with a few of Sherry’s
friends, all of whom were incredibly fun and talkative. One of them, Stephanie, is a missionary’s
daughter turned missionary herself, has lived her entire life in Hong Kong. Then there were John and Isabel, both native
Hong Kong residents, both of whom are in fashion. They gave Elena some wedding fashion
advice. Ef, another Hong Kong native,
took us out to a great Dim Sum place, and I got to try jellyfish (it was really
good). I also met a British girl (I
never got her name) who was interning before going back to school to be an
occupational therapist. Basically, all
really awesome people. I am definitely
going to church next week.
Class is daily at the Chinese University in Hong Kong, or
CUHK. The university has about 13,000
students. The campus takes up an entire
mountain. Our classroom is about half
way up. Our hotel is at the bottom. But there are free shuttle buses to take us
up the mountain, which is wonderful. You
just have to be careful though. People
cram onto the buses, making it very hard to get off at your stop. Heather and I once got trapped on the bus and
had to ride to the next stop before we could get off!
Class is like in India, where we have different speakers
come and talk to us about different subjects.
So far they have all been very good.
It is also really nice that the Hong Kong accent is not a very strong
one. And that many of our speakers have
lived for prolonged periods in English speaking countries. Our class here is art history, which is very
interesting. We have learned about
everything from Jade to Tea (yes, it is an art).
One visitor to China in the 18th century
commented that coming to china makes a western visitor feel as though they have
come across a much more sophisticated culture.
I am starting to understand why that is.
To everything there is a hidden meaning and a subtlety that is hard to
pick up on. Nothing in Chinese culture
is ever overt, as that could be offensive.
On the simplest level, words are never direct. A phrase such as “the dogs bark at the sun
after the rain” actually implies that someone is so stupid that they cannot
recognize the sun. Beyond that, if you
are given the gift of a vase (a common gift), the picture on the vase suggests how
you feel about them (there is a very long list of symbols we had to
learn). It reminds me of India. No one at the ECC spoke directly either. It really tests one’s perceptiveness.
There is also a deep level of sophistication in other areas
of life. There is a proper way to grow
tea, process tea, brew tea, smell tea, hold tea, and drink tea. If you do it the right way, you will be
invited back. There is a proper way to
view art, talk about art, shop for art, bargain for art. If you mess up on the first two steps, you
will never be taken seriously.
Our residence is the Hyatt Regency, a very, very nice hotel
right outside of campus and a two-minute walk from the train system. The apartments here can be rented for either
a normal amount of time, or leased long term.
The head of our program is staying in the Hyatt for a year. I didn’t ask how much that cost, but I can’t
imagine it is cheap. Despite the fact
that this is long-term residence, we are still treated like hotel guests. Our towels are changed daily, whether we want
them to be or not. Our rooms are cleaned
weekly. We are given water bottles daily
(even though tap water here is basically safe).
All of this is a bit of a culture shock after India and
Thailand. Who am I kidding? It is a huge culture shock! Hong Kong has a strong tradition of consumerism
because of its British influence and position of being a prominent trading port
for the last 100 years. We are also
staying amongst the affluent here in the Hyatt.
But after India, the rampant consumerism is a bit jarring. It probably comes from the territory of being
a fashion capital. A lot of globalites
feel pressure to buy new clothes in order to be fashionable, since everyone
here dresses fashionably. Finding
clothes is not difficult, since there is a mall every mile (you think I
exaggerate, I don’t). It also bothers
me that my apartment at the Hyatt is so much nicer than most of the staff
housing at ECC. Money may not buy
happiness, but every so often, when I think back to the India, I am outraged
that we can live so large while others do not.
What is most frustrating is that about half of the globalites seem not
to notice. They seem to treat the living
conditions in India as a bad dream that they have woken from and are trying to
forget. The sheer amount of wastefulness
is really getting on my nerves.
It has gotten to the point where everyone is getting on
everyone else’s nerves. It is really
frustrating. We all know each other
enough to know each other’s faults and to be annoyed by them. And people have just about run out of
patience to deal with other’s shortcomings.
But I guess that comes with the territory. No one is perfect. We are just one dysfunctional family.
No comments:
Post a Comment