Saturday, January 18, 2014

Short News Update

I have a blogging back log that I am trying to deal with.  Sorry this is not up to the present day.

I am writing this right before going to a briefing on our trip to the DMZ.  Yes, you do need to be briefed before going to the DMZ because it is an ACTIVE WAR ZONE!  And peace, it seems, is a little more fleeting than most people would like to believe.  At least, it is if you are talking to some people.  Other people think that it will never happen.  I am not really sure who to believe.  One thing is for certain.  At the DMZ, where you can literally stare North Korean Soldiers in the eye, appearance and behavior matter.  For both sides.

But more about that after I come back from the DMZ. Now, back to talking about last week.

On Saturday most people were just trying to rest and recuperate.  Heather, Cassie and I visited a cat café.  Yes, it is a café, with cats walking around to be pet and played with.  There were even cats on the espresso machine, which I am sure would not pass a safety inspection back in the USA.  But it was still a lot of fun.  Cat and Dog cafes exist today because many people cannot keep animals in their own apartments.  So they go to these cafes to get their animal fix.  Just like us!

Sunday I went with Cassie to meet up with her old 4th grade teacher who now works at a Christian International School in Seoul.  That is the thing about going to a small private school, it isn’t weird to still be friends with your fourth grade teacher.  We went to church with him and his wife (international Lutheran Church, same church as last week), then went to visit their school (the wife is a librarian, and he teaches middle school and highschoolers).  The school was what you would expect of a private school back home.  But that is kind of the point.  It is a school meant so that international children do not have to adjust to the Korean school system.  On that note, students with Korean citizenship are not allowed to attend the school, unless they have lived out of the country for at least three years and therefore cannot easily reenter the Korean school system.  Makes me wonder what the Korean school system is like, that it is a problem for people to enter into it. 

After that, we went back to their house for fajitas and caramel apples.  They were extremely yummy.


Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were pure class during the day.  We talked about everything from Orientalism to colonialism to economics.  Tuesday evening we went to a show called Mizo, a modern Korean musical love story with traditional instruments and setting.   It was a lot of fun, but not necessarily the “traditional” music that I think Marty was looking for.  Wednesday night Heather and I went out for dinner with Juisan, Heather’s buddy, then met up with a few other people from our group and the buddies.  We had a lot of fun talking about accents and colloquialisms.  And I have once again come to the conclusion that English is a really hard language to learn.  But given my failure to grasp even the most basic of Korean, I am forced to conclude that languages are really hard in general, at least for me that is.

I have to get going.  I have to go learn about North Korea

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment