A quick warning before I begin. For the next month, my Internet access will
be VERY limited.
I am writing to you from the town of Whitefield (yes, that
is actually what it is called, it isn’t a translation), an hour outside of
Bangalore, India. We are staying at a
place called the Ecumenical Christian Center (ecc for short). The ECC was created as a place that anyone
could come live, regardless of money, caste or race. The only requirement is that you (or a family
member) need to be enrolled in a class.
The idea is to promote education, especially among poorer
communities.
We each have our own rooms in the Dialogue House. The set up of the buildings in India is very
different than back home. There really
are very few hallways that I have encountered.
They are more covered walkways.
Being on the second floor “hallway” is really more like walking along a
balcony from room to room. It is very
cool. Not that the ecc has any 2-story
buildings. Those are mostly just in the
cities.
Our rooms all circle two open courtyards. Our windows have no glass, just screens to
keep out the bugs. Bugs still get in,
but I have been very meticulous about not having any food smelling things in my
room, so I have not had as much trouble as other people. We have showerheads that spray cold water, or
you can take a bucket shower with warm water.
I am opting for the latter. Our classroom is also in the Dialogue House.
Meals are all served to us, and they usually have a spicy
and not spicy option. We have half an
hour periods to eat, and we are the only ones in the dinning hall despite the
fact that this place is pretty full.
Other people eat at other times, and we have been kicked out after our
time is up. I think Marty is trying to
track down a reason. I have heard
everything from reduced traffic flow to dietary restrictions. If it were a matter of diet, I would not mind
eating something else if it meant getting to know more people at the center. But they haven’t exactly asked for our
opinion.
Before coming here we were in Mumbai for 3 days. The first day we got in at 5am after a 6 hour
plane flight. After checking in at the
YMCA (it was set up like a really cheap hotel, but they provided free meals) we
went on a bus tour of Mumbai. Driving
through the city, you would see slums one minute, then high-rises the
next. In the afternoon we walked through
one of the slums. This particular slum
was the biggest in Mumbai, and where parts of Slum Dog Millionaire were
filmed. Wires hung precariously above
our heads, and trash was under our feet.
The buildings varied in quality, but mostly had tin roofs and tarp held
down by bricks to keep out the rain. The
people there, in order to support themselves, made pottery or sorted through
recycling or worked with leather. There
is no operational social security system in India, so there were many older
women working long hours to earn enough to live in the slums.
There were a few boys that followed us around for a while,
posing for pictures and asking questions.
They all seemed remarkably happy, given the destitution around
them. Actually, everyone we met was
quite cheerful, and no one asked us for money (a welcome relief after Istanbul). I guess it goes to show that happiness is not
dependent on money. That being said, a
little more money to buy the kids shoes might have been nice.
The next day we went to a law college. The morning started with a Q and A with one
of the profs, then we had to answer questions of the students. We went out for lunch with some of the
students, then ceremonially planted trees (why? we have no idea). We then went back to the college, where some
girls were performing more traditional dances.
They put on pop music and invited us to dance Bollywood style with
them. We went back to the YMCA for a
break and dinner. That evening we went
out clubbing with the students. They
took us to one of the nicest clubs in the city.
The drinks were actually cheaper than in Istanbul, because the conversion
rate between Rupees and dollars was still good then. It is getting a lot worse since our government
is still not up and running (66-$1 vs 44-$1).
The law students that took us out kind of remind me of the
Princeton Stereotype. They were kids
from super rich families, who were expected to enter law to make a lot of money
themselves, but were only really interested in partying. Quite the contrast from the slums. They were
very nice to us, and did a very good job of protecting the girls.
The next day we visited Elephanta Island, an hour boat ride
away from Mumbai where there is a huge shrine to Shiva. Our tour guide went through each of the 9
relief statues and told us stories from Hindu mythology. It is amazing how many similar motifs there
are with Christianity, especially surrounding death and rebirth. Hinduism is not shy about sexuality
though. Anyone who has seen a Shiva
shrine will understand what I mean.
The island is also host to some mischievous monkeys, who
have no problem with stealing food or Coca-Cola from an unsuspecting guest. They made many children very unhappy.
That evening I met up with a friend who had graduated from
St. Olaf last year. He is in Mumbai as
an intern with an organization fighting human trafficking. We walked along the coast of the Arabian Sea
for a while, had dinner at a really nice pizza place, then kept walking. At one point in our conversation, it came up
that I was frustrated that I had left my bible at home. He offered to help me find one. After talking with a friend, we figured out
that it would be impossible that evening, but perhaps the next morning. The next morning he showed up at YMCA with a
bible. His bible. He left me a note inside telling me not to
feel guilty about it. Easier said than
done. There are some people in this
world that are just too awesome of people.
That morning we flew to Bangaluru airport. Heather had come
down with a really nasty stomach bug and fever which is only now (Tuesday)
starting to get better. We were met by
Reggie and Min Loon (idk if that is the spelling; that is how they sound). I wasn’t feeling too hot either, so I slept
the hour bus ride to Whitefield. Once
there, we had tea (we have morning and afternoon tea here) and then brought out
a soccer ball. A couple of teenagers
joined us and we played until we couldn’t see anything and it was
dinnertime. That evening, Cassie, Sara,
Chiea and I made decorations for Lisa’s door for her birthday the next
day. We stayed up late to put them up
after she went to bed.
The next day we had a tour of Bangalore, which wasn’t much
of a tour, since everything was closed for a religious festival. They literally have religious festivals every
other week here! We walked around the
botanical gardens for a while. There
were many Indian tourists from the country there who wanted pictures of the
white people, so we stopped for many photos, including one with a baby.
In the afternoon, Min Loon, Reggie and Jeb took us out
shopping. I got an Indian style tunic
that I wore today. They are really nice
and comfortable. My only complaint is
that, being 100% cotton, it wrinkles.
But they are all cotton. We had
lunch and dinner at a hotel restaurant.
Today was our first day of class. In the morning we had a lecture on Indian
values and their origin. It was
interesting to see how one group of elite were able to create a value system
that benefitted them so completely and how everyone has just accepted it as
truth. I can’t help but wonder
though. Indian society seems to stress
contentment where you are. Which can
lead to peace of mind. But it also
hinders progress. There are elements of
Indian society that seem so backward, like the lack of good water and the
attitudes towards women. Are these being
perpetuated by the contentment and lack of urgency that Hinduism and its
associated values produce? Or is there
some confounding element that is keeping India back. I do not know. But I have often wondered about the idea of
whether contentment is in conflict with progress.
After lunch we had a lecture on Yoga. It was amazing what is all involved in truly
doing yoga. It is not only an exercise,
but a way of life. For someone to truly
gain the benefits of yoga, they must first adhere to what our teacher called a
“universal moral code,” which promotes non violence, truth, not stealing,
chastity before marriage. The yogi must
strive for contentment, self-control, worshipping “the almighty” and I am
forgetting the rest. Interesting though
about worship. Actually it is remarkably
compatible with Christianity if treated as a science. A yogi must have good posture, with muscles
as relaxed as a flower, but the control to become as hard as a diamond. Both physical and mental strength are valued. A yogi must meditate, so that they can focus
purely on one thing at a time, and eliminate the duality that comes from
self-doubt. Basically, you develop
perseverance to the point where, once you set your mind to something, you will
complete it and not doubt that you can or should. This focus gives way to the mental state of
flow, which gives way to a higher, unexplainable state. To sum it up, yoga is an exercise in physical
and mental discipline that promotes values that are similar to and compatible
with Christianity. And if it will give
me focus, emotional control, and mental clarity, I am willing to give it a
shot.
In the evening we played with the kids. The youngest was not even two, while the
oldest was probably in high school. The
older kids played soccer and badminton, while I and a few other girls played
with the younger ones. We played hide
and go seek, catch and catch (tag, with one team of taggers and one team
running), a game like heads up seven up, one at a time with nose pinching, duck
duck goose, steal the bacon, and doggie doggie where’s your bone. Then I played badminton for a while, then
Frisbee, then I finally went inside.
After dinner and some internet time, I played ghost in the graveyard
with a few other people. I prefer this
infinitely to clubbing.
6:30 yoga tomorrow. This will be fun.
Good night
Andrea
No comments:
Post a Comment